Tuesday, January 20, 2015

My Gran's Trivets

Good Morning my friends!
It's an early post for me.
I wanted to show you my quick project I worked on last evening. 

I spend a lot of time with my grandparents.  They are 87 and 84.  They are the light in my life.  I have spent every Sat & Sun with them since I was a child.  When I moved out and got married, I still made sure I had time for them.

My granddad is hold a special piece of my heart (he has cancer with a good prognosis) , my gran is a real lady and they taught me everything I know, feel and love.

Last time we had a holiday dinner my gran made the comment that you couldn't buy good, thick potholders and hot pads. 
Since I had not been crocheting a month (I've only been crocheting about 6 months now) I didn't tell her that I may be able to make her some.

Yesterday I was super bored.  I worked on my granny shrug but I ran out of yarn and I just don't have it in me to go get more right now.  Our "local" yarn store is over an hr away.  I don't drive.  Its almost impossible for me to buy yarn.  I am not rich.  Its hard for me to buy yarn sometimes, and if I have to buy a pattern to go with it, I'm way broke. 
If any of you are reading this and can help me find cheap yarn off the internet, I would appreciate it so much.  Since I haven't been crocheting long I don't know the best online stores.
HELP!

I got off topic! AGAIN! I am good at that! Too much I want to share!

Anyway, I searched YouTube yesterday for a cute trivet and finally found one from one of my favorite blogs, Fiber Flux.
Here is the link I used....


Let me tell you, this pattern was fun for me and easy!
It was mindless crochet with a beautiful outcome in just an hr or so.  Its all done with dc and sc.  Thats it!  I am going to make a few for my house. The only suggestion I would make is they are quite small (about 6 inches). She uses a G or H hook and I went larger with a J or K.  I made one with her size hook first.  Thats the pink and ecru one.  I chose the colors from the yarn scraps I had in my bag.  They can also be used for dishcloths.

Here are my trivets....


Aren't they cute?  I just went for it and made mine all different colors. These would make a great gift.  Make a set of 6 (it might take you 2 hrs) for someone you love.  I bet they would love them.

I just adore the Lotus Blossom!
Fiber Flux has the best tutorials.

Anyway, what do ya think?
Since my gran and I have a "granddaughter date" on Thursday, I want to have a couple double thick pot holders for her as well. 
I think she will love them, and its yucky out there today so I will get something on my hook soon!
I will update when I choose a pattern, and get it worked!

If you can help me out with the yarn dilemma, let me know!  I am always looking for great deals on de-stash yarn, Idc if its Red-Heart, but I would give an eye tooth to work in some beautiful hank of hand dyed yarn.
If you have a fave cheapie shop on Etsy, Ebay, whatever! 
Let me know!
I have a skein of green and a few bits of cotton.  I just don't work with the thinner yarn very well. Sock weight, baby yarn, DK is nice but harder for me. I will be desperate for yarn soon! :-)

Thanks for being here with me this morning!
Have a great day!
Spread the crochet madness!
Happy Hookin!

2 comments:

  1. Saw these on the HOHD link party! They are lovely...happy crocheting to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trivets!

    If you have to buy yarn online I've found it best to sign up for the Michael's emails. They will send you tons of coupons. Every so often there will be a coupon for 20% of everything INCLUDING sale items. Pair that with a yarn sale and BAM you will have yarn. It doesn't happen too often, but you can stock up when it does. Also, since it will be a "stock up" order it will be pretty easy to hit the free shipping threshold.

    ReplyDelete